A Peter Gordon Better Breakfast recipe
For 6 – 8 people
- 250 g brown rice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g quinoa
- 2 fairtrade bananas, peeled and sliced 1 cm thick
- 80 g unrefined sugar (or use maple syrup or runny honey)
- 2 tsp shiro miso (white miso paste from Japanese food stores or healthfood shops)
- 300 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- Rinse the rice briefly under gently running warm water. Place in a pot with the cinnamon and 500 ml water and bring to the boil. Cook over a rapid simmer with a lid on until it’s almost cooked, around 15–25 minutes. If the rice sticks because the water has all been absorbed, add a little extra hot water.
- While that’s cooking, put the quinoa into a fine sieve and rinse under hot running water for 20 seconds – this takes some of the bitterness from the grain. Bring a litre of water to the boil, add the quinoa and boil until cooked and the grains begin to uncurl – anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes, depending on the freshness of the quinoa. You’ll need to taste some – it should have a pleasant nutty bite to it. Drain back into the sieve.
- Once the rice is almost cooked (it should have a little bite to it), stir in the bananas, sugar and miso paste.
- Stir in half the coconut milk and bring back to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and keep cooking over a rapid simmer with the lid off until the rice is cooked, stirring frequently.
- Mix in the quinoa and taste for sweetness, adding a little more sugar if needed.
- To serve: Ladle into bowls, pouring on the remaining coconut milk as you do so.
Recipes © Peter Gordon 2012